Our department welcomes all who have decided to pursue an advanced degree in the Indiana University Department of Linguistics.
To be considered, your application must be fully completed. The graduate online application is where you will upload:
- TOEFL exam (International students) – Passing score of 92 IBT (580 paper-based) or 7.0 on the IELTS
- Official transcript(s) – listing grades in each course taken at accredited institutions of higher learning
- Note: Domestic applicants must have their transcripts sent directly from the institution to our department (IU Linguistics Graduate Admission, Ballantine Hall 504, 1020 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, IN 47405) during the admissions process.
- International applicants can use non-official transcripts during the admissions process, but official transcripts must be submitted if they are admitted. When submitting official transcripts, international applicants must submit their transcripts to: Office of International Services, Indiana University, Ferguson International Center, 330 N. Eagleson Ave, Bloomington, IN 47406.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose (300-700 words) – This should provide a thoughtful, informative statement detailing your reasons for wishing to pursue a graduate degree in the Department of Linguistics and the direction of study you intend to pursue.
Please note that GRE scores are not required for admission into any of the graduate degrees in the Department of Linguistics.
The application portal for the 2024-2025 academic year opens September 3, 2023.